The 2014-15 Studio Series

The 2014-15 Studio Series



PARADISE LOST

By Clifford Odets
Directed by Stephen Brown-Fried

Iseman Theater
Thursday, October 2, 2014 at 4PM
Friday, October 3, 2014 at 3:30PM & 8PM
Saturday, October 4, 2014 at 4PM

With a father who owns his own business, a daughter who was a protégée of a famous pianist, a son who is an Olympic champion, and another son who is just breaking into banking, the Gordon family has cultivated a comfortable middle-class life for themselves. But it’s 1933, and not even New York City can escape the crisis of massive unemployment, a still-floundering economy, and a brewing storm in Europe. Clifford Odets's Paradise Lost is a vibrant and philosophical exploration into a middle-class home, as its inhabitants work to maintain all they had gained in the early twentieth century at a moment when the very tenets of American life are being challenged.

RIVERBANK: A NOH PLAY FOR NORTHERLY AMERICANS

By Brendan Pelsue
Directed by Leora Morris


Iseman Theater

Thursday, November 6, 2014 at 4PM
Friday, November 7, 2014 at 4PM & 8PM
Saturday, November 8, 2014 at 4PM

Every spring, Paul takes his mother out for an afternoon of bird watching. As Ruth slips into dementia, this year’s trip becomes a journey to the elusive limits of memory and identity. With the past and the present colliding, Ruth and Paul must question not only what they can know, but who they are when they no longer know.

This Flat Earth

By Lindsey Ferrentino
Directed by Luke Harlan


Iseman Theater

Thursday, November 13, 2014 at 4PM
Friday, November 14, 2014 at 4PM and 8PM
Saturday, November 15, 2014 at 4PM

In the wake of a mass shooting at her middle school, fourteen-year-old Julie begins to question the foundations of her world and her society. Julie’s questions throw everyone around her—adults and children alike—into doubt about the course their lives are taking.

The Rules

By Jiréh Breon Holder
Directed by Yagil Eliraz


Iseman Theater

Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 4PM
Friday, November 21, 2014 at 4PM and 8PM
Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 4PM

Following a shooting at a local movie theatre, an attorney, an executive, a surgeon, and a student must cope with the startling realization that few degrees of separation stand between each one of them and the gunman. A response to the 2012 massacre in Aurora, Colorado, The Rules examines the aftermath of a traumatic event from the perspective of its secondary victims and exposes the necessary fiction of action and consequence that underlies the notion of justice. If civic life is an agreed-upon game, a construct, what’s at stake in winning? And what does it mean to lose?

The Troublesome Reign of King John

By WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
Directed by LEORA MORRIS


Iseman Theater

Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 4PM
Friday, February 13, 2015 at 4PM and 8PM
Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 4PM

Richard the Lionheart is dead. Who gets to be King of England now: his black-sheep youngest brother John or his 12-year old nephew Arthur? A hot political drama set in the 12th century, this game of thrones exposes the dirty deals, sudden betrayals, power plays, and savage battles that are waged in the name of gaining and maintaining power.

The Winter's Tale

By WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
Directed by LUKE HARLAN


Iseman Theater

Thursday, March 12 at 4PM

Friday, March 13 at 4PM and 8PM
Saturday, March 14 at 4PM

Once upon a time there were two kings who loved each other like brothers. Then one king's jealousy infected that bond, his family, and his kingdom, casting them all upon the mercy of time. This is a tale of suspicion and betrayal, wonder and renewal, populated by princes, shepherds, changelings, and bears. It pits human frailty against divine truth, reminding us that even in the darkest winter, there is always the promise of spring.

Coriolanus

By WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
Directed by YAGIL ELIRAZ


Iseman Theater

Thursday, April 16 at 4PM

Friday, April 17 at 4PM and 8PM
Saturday, April 18 at 4PM

When democracy dawns in Rome, domestic affairs devolve into a class struggle between the 1% and the other 99%, and a foreign war threatens national security. At the center of this maelstrom is the war hero Coriolanus, a stranger to politics thrust into office. If he fails to succeed in a system governed only by corruption, is he to blame?